You may have a stack of brochures for the different health plans you represent that you want to send out to your Medicare prospects and beneficiaries. CMS’ guidelines differ for health-related lines of business and advertising multiple lines of business. So, before you get started, here’s what you need to know about mailing marketing materials for multiple lines of business.
What Do Multiple Lines of Business Refer To?
Multiple lines of business, as outlined in Section 40.8.1 of the Medicare Marketing Guidelines (MMG), refers to competing lines of health-related products. There are two categories of health-related lines of business:
- CMS-regulated health plans such as Medicare Advantage (MA) and Medicare Part D
- Other health-related products that CMS doesn’t regulate, such as Medicare Supplements (Medigap)
CMS-regulated health plans and other health-related products are competing lines of business. So when advertising or sending marketing materials to Medicare beneficiaries for these competing or multiple-product lines, there are certain restrictions.
What Are the Rules on Sending Materials for Multiple Lines of Business?
Here’s a breakdown of what you can and can’t do when it comes to marketing/sending materials that describe multiple lines of business:
- You can send marketing materials to Medicare beneficiaries that include information for multiple lines of business as long as you comply with HIPAA requirements (outlined generally in Appendix 2 of the MMG) and CMS’ rules on the use of beneficiary information listed in Section 160 of the MMG.
- You can advertise multiple lines of business in the same marketing document as long as the Medicare lines of business are represented clearly and distinctly from the other health-related lines of business.
- You can send marketing materials to current Medicare enrollees that discuss other health-related lines of business as long as you include instructions on how enrollees can opt out.
- You can’t send current enrollees (and non-enrollees) future marketing communications about other health-related products if they’ve requested to opt out of receiving such information.
- You can’t provide enrollment applications for other health-related products when mailing materials to beneficiaries that include information for both CMS-regulated lines of business plans and competing lines of business.
Where Can I Get Support in Selling Multiple Lines of Business?
Excelsior’s senior market team is well-versed in knowing how to cross-sell Medicare and senior health products compliantly. Our strategies can help turn your product pitches into increased income. Plus, our regional sales directors have decades of field marketing experience and can help you reach more Medicare beneficiaries in your local market. To find more of the CMS Medicare Marketing Guidelines, visit our online resource center. Contact us to see how you can grow your business in the senior market today!